Wednesday 29 February 2012

Visit to Rutherford Appleton Laboratory


Hello fellows, what's new on this special 29th Feb? Did anyone of you just get engaged? Hmmmm, I didn't. Well, this time I'd like to share something related to my own research, and this exciting journey to Rutherford Appleton Laboratory.

I am currently looking into how Amyloid beta peptides (25-35) interact with membrane, and I use this monolayer made of pure lipids as a membrane model. In order to "see" what's actually happening to the membrane resulting from the interaction, we need some special instruments, or "eyes". Brewster angle microscope is one of them.

So we were heading to Rutherford Appleton Laboratory to use this microscope to have a look at the surface of our membrane. The pic shows how the surface looks like when it's not disturbed. Cool huh?

See, one of the many( well, maybe not many :p) great things about being a phd is that you get the chance to learn the very developed tech, and to know people who are really good in your research area, eg. how they do their research, how they manage to keep a balance on work and life, how they think. I am really happy to see and learn from the top people from this trip. They really love what they do, they really know how to deal with difficulties in both research and life, and most important, they really believe in themselves. All those inspire me!

I hope you enjoy your life and work, either as a phd student or not. Smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment